"Is there a cage?" and other fun and often asked questions you might not know the answer to are here:
First please know that you may contact Coach Demarchi with questions and concerns. Below we will try and address a few questions that we see as coaches.
- Is there a cage or face paint and will we be jumping off the top rope to drop an elbow?
- No, this is not fake sports entertainment style wrestling. High School wrestling is real and unscripted athletic competition.
- Can I play another sport and still wrestle?
- Yes, KISD Athletics encourages multiple sport athletes. Any coach that tells you that you should be specializing and quitting other sports does not have your best interest in mind.
- What kind of wrestling do we do at Seven Lakes HS?
- We teach collegiate wrestling in the fall/winter season and Olympic wrestling in the spring. We do not teach "sports entertainment" style wrestling.
- What are weight classes?
- Wrestling is divided up by weight classes to keep the competitions as fair as possible. We do not want drastic sudden weight cuts or yo-yo weight management. Please see the Wrestlers Handbook for more details. Boys have 14 weight classes ranging from 106 pounds up through 285 pounds. Girls have 10 weight classes ranging from 95 pounds up through 215 pounds.
- What is the best physical body type for wrestling?
- There is no set body type for wrestling. The size of your heart outweighs the size of your biceps. Wrestling is about technique and style match ups. Any body type can be a great wrestler.
- What if my child doesn't know anything about wrestling?
- That is what the coaches are here for. We have a system in place that will set your wrestler up for success. Most wrestlers here at Seven Lakes have never wrestled before their freshman year.